(November 20, 2009)
Today was an interesting day. One of the Araucanas gave us another blue-green egg, but laid it outside in the pen, so it had to be washed. That's two blue ones now. Then we got this enormous egg, twice the size of any others. Can't even close the lid on the carton now. It is amazing and I can only imagine the labor it took to release it. Like delivering an 18 pound baby. The total egg production for today was 16, the last one delivered just as the girls were finally being shovelled into the coop. I mean this almost literally. I thought if I didn't turn the light on right away they would go in faster and roost when it got dark. Wrong. I got them all in the pen at darkness. However, when I went out after awhile to close the chicken door, they had all decided to roost on the ramp outside, except for the one who was laying an egg at the time. They were all sound asleep and didn't want to move, so I had to go into the pen, flashlight in hand and push them in. I was a bit reluctant to push much on Pete, who was fourth in line, but he got up and went in on his own. The rest I literally had to pick up and place inside. All of this was after I turned on the light so they could see their way. Lesson learned, leave the light on for them, they like it, even if it keeps them up later at night. We have a 60 watt bulb in there right now, and it seems bright. May switch to 40 until it gets colder outside. Since I left it on all night last night and there were no eggs on the floor this morning, I guess they have decided they are happy with the new light. Thank you David. Wendy came up to help clean out the coop today, and plans to help next week at least once. We don't want anyone to miss this fun job though, so feel free to sign up for a time. Right now it is easiest to do it in the late afternoon when the girls are out free ranging and out of your way. Also we don't have to figure out how to keep them from escaping at that time. We figure twice a week will be needed once the weather changes and they are in more. We just use a snow shovel particularly under the roosts. Clean straw goes back into the nest boxes. Dirty in the pile outside the door for compost prep. The girls really enjoy throwing it out of the boxes before laying eggs.
There are currently two and a half dozen eggs in the frig, and more on the way tomorrow. If you let us know how many you might want in the next week, for holiday baking etc. then we will know how many to keep around. We probably should sell those we can't eat within a few days, as production is increasing. We have sold one dozen so far. The money will go into a can for food, etc. Our list of those interested is up to five now. Let us know your needs. Who wants to try the blue ones? Maybe Jeanne and I will share the monster for breakfast. Peggy
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment