There's a little more work to be done with the return of cold temperatures. Wendy and I stopped by the coop this afternoon and discovered that the water had frozen solid. Since our girls need regular access to water (I read that being without water for as little as a few hours can reduce overall health and egg production) I guess we need to watch this closely. Wendy and I can pop over most days, but we may need a little help from time to time.
In other news, at least one of the hens has decided that it is far too much effort to climb up in to a nest box to lay her egg. We've found an egg on the floor in the morning for a the last four days. They're not all that easy to see (particularly when partially covered with straw) and we have stepped on a couple. In case you're wondering, chickens just LOVE fresh eggs and went into a feeding frenzy over the broken eggs. We cleaned up best we could, scooping out the egg-sodden straw. We don't really want the girls developing a taste for eggs...
Matt & Wendy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment